February 12, 2011

Second Breakfast

For me, the time between a light breakfast (tea and a Clif bar) while booting up the computer and a real, sit-down lunch break is simply too long.  Around ten a.m., I start to feel restless and distracted, a sure sign of dropping blood sugar.  Whatever lunch awaits me, it starts to whisper from the fridge. But if I give in to its siren call, how will I make it through the rest of the day without bottoming out?

The answer, for me (and Winnie the Pooh, and all the Brits who still nibble on Elevenses) is "second breakfast." Lately, my best choice for a tide-me-over morning snack is oatmeal.  It only takes a minute to heat up, and satisfies without being too sweet or too salty. At about 100 calories, it also wears off by the time I need the real break that lunch provides. And it goes well with a second cup of tea, if the first didn't offer enough caffeine.

Now that I've worked that break snack out, what's best in the late afternoon, between lunch and dinner? And what do I call it, if I've cut off the tea portion of the Afternoon Tea?

No comments: