February 26, 2011

Oscars v. Superbowl

Every year, the Academy Awards follow the Superbowl by a few weeks. In the lead-up to the big ball game, print and TV ads are saturated with snacks heavy on saturated fats.  And while not all of them are tempting, the cumulatively they make me want my own occasion to gather around the TV, eating dips with beer, rooting for my favorites.  In sweats (as Ani di Franco says, "I don't wear anything I can't wipe my hands on.") Not your typical Oscars night party, where folks usually emulate red carpet attire and Wolfgang Puck's style of cuisine.

Nonetheless, that's what I want. Jalapeno pepper poppers, seven-layer dip, potato chips, beer, vegetarian chili, and gluten-free cornbread. No cakes in the shape of a football - maybe chocolates in shiny wrappers, instead, with a champagne toast. Making sure to share those deep-fried peppers stuffed with cream cheese among the whole crowd, and overall our intake will stay pretty healthy.  But it will feel decadent enough to honor a night where the players uniforms are tuxes and gowns.

No comments: