February 19, 2011

Gluten-free Bakery

As well as we've been getting along baking our own bread, making our own pizza dough, and using rice pastas from Trader Joes, the relief I felt to discover a gluten-free bakery near home surprised me.  Much of what Zest bakes in its San Carlos kitchen doesn't tempt me - cookies, muffins, sweet loaves, and mini cheesecakes I can live happily without.

For me, the ravioli and loaves of sandwich bread are much more critical to the savory pleasures of everyday life; and the occasional cupcake or brownie will please my sweet tooth.  And knowing I can walk in and order a basic sandwich, the one lunch item that all the great salads, SE Asian (Chinese, Thai and Indian) rice-using dishes, and soups or stews simply can't replace, is deeply comforting.

While I focus more on the abundance of good food choices that don't slam my joints and muddle my brain than on the few conveniences I should do without, some days being scrupulously prudent wears on the soul.  To walk into a shop brimming with good fresh-made offerings (and they are all good, based on taste tests so far) feels liberating.  Anything that appeals is available. I'd forgotten what that feels like.

No comments: