October 23, 2011

The Incredible, Italian, Egg

Having an apartment in Venice meant getting to cook 'at home,' as well as shopping for the ingredients.  Having not yet mastered the open-area markets or the speciality shops, we picked up basics on the first day from the local grocery.  Sure that we would want eggs for something, I choose the jumbo pack - 6. They were comparable in price to free-range, organic eggs in California.
And the label said (in Italian, of course), "specially for pasta!" Although I did not plan to hand-make any pasta, that still sounded promising.

Breaking the first egg was a revelation. The last time I saw a yolk that rich was from a friend's farm-raised duck. To make sure I didn't overwhelm the natural flavor, I made a very simple omelet with few added ingredients. Marvelous!
Not a mere binder or filler like its factory-farmed cousin, the Italian Egg is a food unto itself, worthy of full enjoyment.

No comments: