October 29, 2011

Green Views from the Peninsula

When I was invited to take over writing the Green Views from the Peninsula column for several local sites on Patch.com, it seemed like a timely opportunity to expand from writing about healthy food to exploring other environmental topics, such as renewable energy, green building, green business, and sustainable transportation and land use. A full buffet!

Since I know a little bit about many green topics, coming up with ideas and a general message is pretty easy for me. The next step - connecting a general concept to local activities and resources - is more challenging. But it's also deeply satisfying, taking the abstract to the concrete, the global to the local. In that way, it reminds me of the pleasing switch from writing big-picture on the Bite-size Green website to describing specific dishes and ingredients on this blog.

So far, I've covered topics like proper disposal of pharmaceuticals, wardrobe recycling, and local libraries. But the inaugural column, of course, was about food. How to Manage the Changing Seasons of Farmers Markets came naturally, an easy segue into this new journalistic venture.

Surely I'll work my way back around to food before long. But in the meantime, what subjects would you like to read about?




No comments: