June 29, 2011

Solar Salmon

Having learned a lesson about overcooking foods in the solar oven, I exercised great care while trying fish in it for the first time.
Salmon with raspberry-chipotle
sauce, in solar cooker.
First, I followed the tip about putting items on trays on top of a platform to raise them up closer to the window of the cooker. Had I planned a side dish (roasted beets, potatoes, etc), I could have cooked them in the black enameled pan that provided the lift for the salmon's tray.
Second, I checked on the lovely salmon fillet before I suspected it would be close to done, just to make sure all was well.  Because the wild-caught fish had been frozen, it let off quite a bit of liquid while warming.  Not wanting to steam it in the solar cooker, I drained the excess off and patted the fillet dry. Next I topped it liberally with a sweet-tangy raspberry-chipotle sauce, and put it back into the cooker.

When I peeked in on the fillet again about forty-five minutes later, it was done, with the cooker's internal temp showing about 275 degrees fahrenheit. Moist but firm and flaky, it also tasted delicious.

No comments: