July 6, 2008

Keep the Cat off the Solar Oven

. . . and other solar cooking tips.

My initial forays into using solar energy to cook dishes on my deck have met with some mixed success. Seems that learning to use a solar cooker to its best advantage is like learning to use any new cooking equipment (a wok, a propane grill, a blender. . .).

Rather than make my own cooker, I started by borrowing one, a commercial Sun Oven. Like most models, it offers its own variation on the basic design - dark box with glass lid and reflectors. My first try, a strawberry rhubarb crisp, came out so well I tried it a second time. Even better!

In contrast, my first try at baking ratatouille flopped. I started too late in the day; and temps in the box were enough to warm the dish but not cook it well.

Reading the handy guide and excellent cookbook, Cooking with Sunshine , is getting me over the learning curve. The recipes are tailored for the way solar cookers work; and the tips must be followed for reliable results. Already the time-of-day rule and the tight-cover-to-keep-steam-in rule have shown themselves to be true. And, fortunately, the cat is not interested in napping anyplace that hot and shiny.

No comments: