July 19, 2008

Fair Trade Chocolate on the Cheap

On my way to the farmers market today, I stopped at Grocery Outlet to get cash back and whatever incidental treasures I could find. I'm not sure how grocery liquidation works; but the story I tell myself is that when first-line groceries can't move their goods quickly enough, and when manufacturers can't distribute as much as they'd planned, these places snap up the overage. Then folks like me cruise the aisles, scoping out deals. There's a ton of twinkies-and-white-bread stuff there - but it's also good for organic shopping on a budget.

Today I found Alter Eco fair trade chocolate bars for 50 cents each. Yep. Not two or three dollars a piece, but two for a buck. No member card required, no bulk purchase. Just basic clearance. Sadly, they only had a milk chocolate variety; but I bought one for a friend and will keep my eyes out for other flavors next time I hunt and gather there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't usually think of looking in discount grocery stores for organic food. This is a great tip!

Posmena Sales said...

Here is a link for FairTrade Chocolate online:
- chocolate4you