December 27, 2011

Fiber35 Diet - Book Review

During the holidays and other times of year when celebratory foods all seem to be high-fat, simple-carb, and either sugary or greasy, I take refuge in simple snacks like baked yams, steel cut oats, or apples with peanut butter. What do they have in common? Well, besides being yummy and satisfying, fiber.

When I saw Brenda Watson on PBS giving her seminar on the Fiber35 Diet, I thought, "This is so simple - I don't need her book." I jotted down her key tips, researched the fiber content of foods we routinely eat at home, and made a few healthy changes. Focusing as recommended on good eating rather than self-deprivation, I dropped a few pounds, felt better, and re-established some good habits.

A year later, I found and consulted the book for a 'check-up.' Reading it provided useful reminders, detailed medical information, and much better instructions than the ones I had scribbled down. Once I got past the "Amazing! Secret! Miracle!" self-promotion, and the touching vignettes about Watson's clients, I found the nutrition and fitness facts well-explained.

For me, these are the parts that make the book worth owning as a reference:
  • A thorough,understandable physiological explanation of how dietary fiber promotes weight loss
  • An easy-to-follow plan to assess your current nutrition and achieve personal health and fitness goals
  • Sections on boosting your metabolism, exercise basics, detoxification, supplements, hormones, phytonutrients, and disease prevention
  • Charts on numerous foods and their fiber content per serving
  • Dozens of simple recipes

No comments: