November 14, 2011

Gluten-free Pumpkin Pie Crust

Pumpkin pie with pecan crust
When the days shorten, I start to crave orange foods. Roasted butternut squash, baked sweet potatoes, pumpkins in Thai curry . . . and pumpkin pie. Or pies.

This year, I planned to default to simply baking the filling in ramekin dishes. That is yummy, after all. But Basha would not give up on the quest for a crust that would properly complement the filling.  She found a recipe for a pecan pie crust that is not only gluten-free but also low carb and low sugar. And it went really well with the pumpkin and spice flavors.

The only tricky part of making the pecan crust is deciding how small to mince the pecan bits in the food processor. In the end, I had to taste-test two separate pumpkin pies. Both were delicious; but apparently neither was perfect. Before the days begin to lengthen again, I'm going to have to test more attempts. Somehow, I will make it through the season.

No comments: