July 21, 2011

Coconut Milk Ice Cream

"It's a dawn; it's a new day; it's a new life for me, and I'm feeling good!" - Newley & Bricusse

Nearly a year ago, I chatted with a friend about my experiences with wheat (and avoiding it) and she asked me about dairy. Apparently, lactose troubles many who either have celiac or (like me) simply find that avoiding wheat makes them feel much, much better. In addition, not all dairy is equal. At the high end of the scale is sweetened condensed milk, which I only ever drink in Thai iced tea. At the low end are butter and aged cheeses. In between are some mid-level items, like a glass of milk or a cup of yogurt  - but their digestibility does not mirror their lactose content (many people can't handle milk, but have no symptoms with yogurt, probably because of the live cultures that come with it).  In a family of dairy lovers, with one lactose-intolerant child, she had tried alternative products for every dairy category, looking especially for those that everyone in the family could enjoy together.  In the ice cream category, coconut milk-based treats rocked.  Not cheap, and not always easy to find, but fully worth it.

Bearing all this in mind, over the months I've tested a range of dairy products I used to consume without a second thought.  And sure enough, Thai iced tea sets off a ruckus in my insides.  Half and half in my tea? No problem.  A big latte or bowl of cereal? Not too bad, but better with almond milk substituted. Yogurt? Not a burble, and still great for my fruit smoothie. Cheeses? Really varied, but always best in small doses. And then there's ice cream.

What I love about ice cream is its richness, and the elegant mouth-feel of a high-quality, simple ingredient brand (or house-made batch). Sorbets, like popsicles, are wonderful for a clean, icy fruit experience; but they aren't ice cream. Versions made with soy or rice taste off to me; and their thickeners tend to feel funny on the tongue, like a cheap ice cream.  I left the coconut-milk version until last largely because I was afraid they might be as good as my friend claimed, and become an expensive habit.  On my sporadic visits to Whole Foods, a pint seemed exorbitant. But today I found a pint of chocolate at Trader Joe's, for less than a pint of Ben & Jerry's at a Safeway.

Where have I been? !  This lovely concoction is creamy and rich, deep chocolaty, with a strong back flavor of coconut.  Since I adore these two flavors together, that pleases me greatly.  While I am an enthusiastic convert, there are reasons not everyone will want to switch - 180 calories per half-cup serving, 8 grams saturated fat, 16 grams sugar. And the clearly discernable flavor of coconut, which, inexplicably, not everyone cares for.  For you all, try the other substitutes in the freezer section.  As for me - it's a new day!

No comments: