October 30, 2010

Yam Snacks

Yams - they're not just for breakfast anymore.  What? You don't eat baked yams for breakfast? You think they're reserved for Thanksgiving, as a second-tier side dish?  And, you concede, quite nice as sweet potato fries?
Well, they are quite nice as a snack, too.  As soon as the days begin to shorten and cool, I find myself craving orange food, and yams most of all.  First I'll dip a toe into autumn with one or two baked and enjoyed as a reminder, like the first cup of warm spiced apple cider.  But soon I'm baking whole sheets, and taking one to the office each day to eat as second-breakfast or as my mid-afternoon snack.  My favorite toppings are butter and a little salt.  The options for dressing them up, however, are limited only by time and imagination.

No comments: