October 26, 2010

Prop 26 - Unsafe at Any Speed

Do you know what a food inspector does? And what restaurant conditions would be like if they didn't?

I really enjoy eating out; and I don't mind that restaurants have to pay an annual permit fee to local governments to cover the cost of regular inspections. Of course that cost of doing business is passed on to me. And so is the benefit of not getting food poisoning.

Does my local government follow standards to set that fee, and spend it on the service it promises to provide with it (as required by California law)?  If I'm unsure and interested, I can find out.

Do I want to be forced to vote every time that program, or thousands of others run by the County, my city, or the state need to re-authorize or adjust their fee structure in order to keep providing health and safety services to my community?  Nope.

Eat out. Enjoy the benefits of good governance (as the Canadians call it), and vote no on CA Prop 26.

No comments: