July 31, 2010

Double Market Week

At the height of summer, every day of the week offers a farmers market somewhere nearby. Still, I normally make it to one only, based on convenience of time and location for my schedule, as well as what's ripe and what's keeping well in the fridge.

This week we ran out of eggs right after the first market, and held off a couple days until the next, in order to try the fresh, cage-free ones available there.

While I was steeled to absorb the sticker shock, it was not so bad as I anticipated.  The $5 and $7 price cards referred not to white or brown dozens, but to flats of 20 and 30.  Turned out a dozen brown were $3 and whites only $2.50, which beats the sticker at many local grocery stores.

That happy surprise left more cash in my pocket, allowing me to over-stuff my produce bag with peppers, corn, onions, spinach, lettuce, nectarines, and even rhubarb.

No comments: