May 26, 2010

Not Grilling Weather

Although much of our produce is following the normal seasonal patterns here - asparagus nearing the end of its run, strawberries in full swing, corn just beginning to show up in the farmers' markets - the weather isn't.  Seems the Bay Area is emulating Seattle.  The regular interruptions of spring sun and warmth with chilly, wet days has disrupted my seasonal sense of how to prepare foods.  I should be grilling (tonight's salmon and asparagus, for instance), but instead I hunker down in the kitchen, using oven and stovetop. The crisper is full of salad greens; but what I really want are more baked yams.

With a cool spell threatening to dampen Memorial Day weekend, I do hope that Junuary isn't around the corner.  If it travels down to the Bay Area too, I may have to demand a refund on the deposit I put down for California weather.

No comments: