December 22, 2009

Hanoi Scratchpad

When I find a really marvelous travel writer, following their blog delights me almost as much as finding a letter in my post box. In the case of Hal Medrano's Hanoi Scratchpad, maybe even more. When I tried to purge my office closet of two shoeboxes full of old letters, I found a stack of thin blue airmail stationary with missives from Hal about his first forays into living in Asia and travelling throughout SE Asia. Much old correspondence went; but I couldn't bring myself to part with these delicious bites of his experience.

Hal's current writing from Viet Nam maintains all the vibrancy of his handwritten notes, but with a few bonuses. The photos are gorgeous, and complement his insights and wit beautifully. Facebook updates provide me with reminders, easy links, and the ability to see comments from his other friends. Nearly real-time exchanges are possible, mostly closing that sense of distance that the several-week time lag in letters made so palpable. But most important to me, he has room and time to include full recipes with detailed instructions (and mouth-watering photos).

Hanoi Scratchpad is much broader than a food blog; but the food writing is first class. When I read the other posts, I chuckle, reflect, or even tear up. But when I read about the dishes cooked and shared in Hanoi, I just salivate.

No comments: