August 24, 2009

Corn off the Cob

As the days start to grow shorter, and kids go back to school, the squirrel in me yearns to put up the summer's bounty to hold me through the winter. But my idea of 'putting up' food stretches as far as the freezer. The strawberry vendor at the farmer's market told me how to both keep the berries fresh longer in the fridge and how to properly freeze them. So I have a fruit smoothie with local fruit any time of year, which is a grand luxury.

But tonight found me with 3 ears of local sweet corn, a sharp knife in hand, and the Wailin' Jennys on the stereo. I placed each ear on top of a small bowl (inverted, to act as a base), set inside a wide bowl. When I scraped down the ear close to the cob, the kernels fell neatly in the big bowl. Then I scooped them into a quart-sized bag and popped it in the fridge.

And now I feel more down-home, self-sufficient and ready to the long nights, with provisions laid in. A little organic produce and the right soundtrack go a long way.

No comments: