February 13, 2009

Art- Book - Food

Over 140 exhibitors from a dozen countries and as many US states, and which books were my favorites at the Codex International Bookfair?  The ones that tell a story with food, of course.  Someday perhaps there will be an art niche within the book arts world, just as there are niches within the wide realm of jazz.

My perennial favorites, 'Meatball Math' and 'Milk Butter Eggs' by Alice Austin were on display (hard to believe there are still a few of the limited edition prints available).  And right next to her table was Emily Martin's work, a delightful new discovery for me.  'More Slices of Pie' captivated me; and in retrospect I wish I had taken an edition home.  Each slice contains a story, and a recipe.  If I had had a shot at the original 'Eight Slices of Pie' before that sold out, I'm sure I would have wanted both (As in, "pecan or pumpkin?  apple or blackberry?" When faced with these dilemmas, always choose both.)

It's easy to see why the two artists get along famously.  Their work shows a similar sense of humor, storytelling, and playfulness even when dealing with serious themes.  Both also employ a range of book art forms, well-executed: flexagons of various complexities, the triangular and more standard accordians, carousel, Jacob's ladder, intricate map-folds, and more.  The print-making and binding techniques also vary by book, always enhancing the finished feel.

Perhaps someday if I'm lucky and plan well I'll manage to find them together again in one place (Alice being from Philadelphia, Emily from Iowa).  And to record a few moments of 'kitchen table talk' about their work.  Over pie, of course.

No comments: