January 22, 2009

Jack's Prime Burgers and Shakes

I make a point of ignoring the surveys on Treehugger, after reading their one-line question designed to hook you. In late December, the hook I noticed most (but didn't bite at) was: "Can a burger and fries be sustainable?" Pressing all my buttons, it brought up some lightly-repressed guilt over my too-many fast-food meals, and my deep desire for a place to find an affordable, guilt-free source of beef on a bun.

So I celebrated Epiphany early when I invited out a friend on Christmas eve, and he suggested a new place in San Mateo, called Jack's Prime Burgers and Shakes. Jack's was a familiar site, a prominent landmark on my ride to work each morning. I had thought to stop in for lunch; but as I really do try to avoid feedlot beef, I had passed on the indulgence. When we arrived, after 8pm and hungry, the first nice moment was the hostess' decision to seat us, despite their intention to close very shortly (early, for the holiday). Then came the real joys:
  1. Chocolate milkshakes - the best ever. Served in a tall glass, and made from Double Rainbow ice cream (local) and Clover organic milk (also local). Unlike most chocolate shakes, made from vanilla ice cream and syrup, these are the darkest, most intense I have ever tried. Better than homemade, and definitely plenty to share.
  2. A choice of burgers made with Meyer Ranch beef or Diestel Farms turkey - both of which raised their animals on pasture. Also, chicken in the salad entrees are free-range.
  3. The fry oil for the excellent shoestring fries and addictive sweet potato fries is collected by a recycler and sold to a local biodiesel refinery.
  4. Hot fudge sundaes offered for desert, with a range of ice cream flavors and served in a real glass dish (a nearly lost art, and very hard to find).
  5. A top-notch veggie burger, and a nice entree salad menu for veggie friends. We tried the organic greens with homemade vinaigrette as a side dish; and it was superb.
Sustainable? I'm still of the eat-less-meat school; but when I need to quench the beef jones, it's an actual relief to have an affordable, local burger joint to visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great find! I'll be heading to Jack's this weekend.

Because we like your blog so much, we've linked to you from our like-minded blog:

http://oneblockdiet.sunset.com

Those little goat cheeses from Harley Farms (your Dec. 2 post) are wonderful. Couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!
Now that I'm producing a TV show, I'd love to chat about visiting the Sunset grounds with video camera and cover your One Block Diet project. I haven't stopped in since Celebration Weekend 2008; and next May/June is just too long to wait. - mb