January 31, 2009

Bite Size Green's TV Launch

For someone who doesn't have cable, I manage to watch an awful lot of cooking shows. And this year, as I've started to learn camera and editing skills, I've watched them in a whole new light. How many dishes can you cook in a half-hour segment? What angle does the camera come in from? How often are the breaks?

To improve my skills, I signed up for classes at the Community Media Center, our local public access station. They make the studio available to the community so that anyone can share their views over the airwaves. But they have a strong commitment to quality production as well as free speech; so all crew and show creators must take training before using the space and equipment.

Each studio class produces a show as the final project; and my class voted for a green cooking show, with the title Bite Size Green. I'm tickled; and the closer we get to shooting the more I appreciate the work that goes into all those shows I've been watching in my downtime.
The most scary and reassuring aspect of this episode? Having Laura Stec as the guest.

Her participation is reassuring, because she's wonderful on-screen - articulate, funny, credible and engaging. But securing 'talent' (show biz lingo for the person on screen) of her caliber also raises the bar for our production quality - who knows who might tune in, with such a draw? Her willingness to work with us also shows that in addition to being a talented chef, excellent instructor, public speaker, and author, she's also just a really good egg. And that is why family farmers and slow food chefs are my rock stars.

No comments: