October 1, 2008

Autumn Harvest

Even though farmer's markets here have an unusually long season for produce I think of a summer-only (strawberries, cucumbers, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes), I find myself drawn now to the bounty of autumn.

Maybe the shortening days are sending my body a signal - "grab some yams for breakfast - you need the beta-carotene" and "spaghetti squash - there's a great gluten-free way to put something healthy under that lycopene-rich red sauce you love." So I listened. One tomato for a late-season plate of caprese (with the home-made mozzarella and the dwindling fresh basil). One red pepper for my black bean - corn - red pepper salad. A couple ears of corn - to cut the kernels off the cob and freeze for winter use. And the rest? All the comfort veggies of autumn - yams, sweet potatoes, baking potatoes, and a surprising array of squash types.

Soon the pumpkins will be ready, and again this year I'll try roasting the seeds and using the flesh for pie (sounds spooky enough for me).

No comments: