August 22, 2008

Lunchbox Envy


Every time I bring my lunch to work in my Laptop Lunchbox, another co-worker wants to know where to get one. Designed much like a bento box, this lunchbox comes with a User's Guide. The authors provide impressive facts on the trash generated by school lunchrooms, mainly from kids' food packed in single-serving disposable containers (67 lbs per child, per year). They also discuss nutrition, shopping tips, and instructions for preparing foods to pack in the lunchbox. For those wishing to transition from processed foods with lots of waste to fresh foods with nothing left behind but compost, the box and book combo makes a great resource.
For an adult with a larger appetite (bigger servings or frequent grazing, like me), the smallish compartments can be challenging. On the plus side, the short, flat profile fits better in a shared office refrigerator than most tall lunch bags.

I use mine a couple times a week, sometimes alone and sometimes with another container on the side. When I run low on inspiration, I consult the User's Guide; and suddenly I want sliced apples to snack on, or a veggie stir fry, or one of the many other good ideas offered.

No comments: