August 25, 2008

Deep-Fried Fuel

I am saved from watching too many cooking shows mainly by my lack of cable service. So I have not seen very many episodes of "Organic Living with the Hippy Gourmet." Mostly they have seemed to be more travelogue than culinary art; but the rerun I caught this weekend was an exception.

In addition to the usual guest chef, this episode featured a guest host, with the two linked thematically and geographically. The chef from Kitchen on Fire prepared solely deep-fried foods: tortilla chips, wonton strips, tempura vegetables, and banana fritters. The guest host kept up a nice, witty patter, showed enthusiasm for the fry oil's use as a diesel car fuel, and hauled off the used oil to do just that. Two of San Francisco's homegrown sustainability champions - KOF and Veg Rev - got positive exposure; and I worked up a mean jones for some fried snacks.

No comments: