May 15, 2008

Make any Dish Healthier

My golden rules for healthier eating:
1. Add veggies
2. Share

Last night's supper reminded me how often and easily I apply these two rules.
It was hot, and I didn't want to bake or use the stovetop. So I threw together a salad, and then scrounged the fridge and pantry.
A box of Trader Joe's Satay Peanut Noodles called my name.
This dish is packaged as a to-go meal, with just noodles and sauce in a microwavable box. One person can scarf it down in a few minutes, for 600 calories, 6g saturated fat, and almost no fiber.
But I prepared it as I usually do, dumping it into a bowl and then stirring in whatever veggies I find in the crisper. Last night it was green beans, broccoli and zucchini. Then I heated it, split it into two big bowls, and shared.
Voila! We each had a little over 300 calories, 3g sat fat, and a decent amount of fiber and phyto-nutrients.

No comments: