March 26, 2013

The Art of Cooking for One

What do you fix for meals, when it's just you?
I'm partial to toast with peanut butter and bananas, myself.
But then, I'm a frequent snacker - so that's not a meal. Pair it with guacamole, chips, homemade soda, and some ice cream from the B & J's carton, and you've got a meal.

Would I serve a guest a meal like that? Nope. And many days, when it's just me in the kitchen, I'd rather serve me an elegant plate with a real entree and side dishes, too.
Saturday night, for instance, I whipped up broiled asparagus, Yukon gold potatoes, and salmon deglazed with fresh orange juice and agave syrup.
While it would have been great to have someone to chat with while snapping asparagus stems, cutting the spuds, etc., the Wailin Jennies on the stereo made for really pleasant company. And flipping through the new edition of Cooking Light kept my restless mind entertained while still paying attention to my plate and enjoying every bite. Not exact substitutes for the great pleasure of good conversation while creating and devouring a meal; but it was a lovely evening.

The key to cooking well for yourself? Be as thoughtful as you would for a treasured guest. If you would dress the table, use good china, put on music, plate the food elegantly, then do. To show your appreciation, you can always volunteer to do the dishes.


No comments: