March 31, 2011

One-Block Party?

Sunset invited its readers to take up a One-Block Party challenge, to use its new One Block Feast book as a guide and by summer's end orchestrate a party based around home-grown and home-made dinner ingredients. Although I let the deadline for entry (yesterday) slide by with only a little regret, it did get me to thinking: what can I produce in the limited and challenging setting available?

Generally, I rely heavily and happily on my local farmers markets, supplemented by a few friends or co-workers with gardens. Living literally on the water, with only modest deck space and some not-well protected pots to tend, attempts at nurturing any but the most hardy stock have been disappointing. Succulents do well, as do some very drought-tolerant, wind tolerant vines and flowers. And with great care, a few herbs, including basil.

So I'm going to brainstorm this one with my neighbors, and come up with a challenge both less prosaic than the usual 100-mile diet and more realistic than one geared towards folks with yards. We've got the most idyllic spots to enjoy a locally-crafted meal together. Surely we can craft a delicious challenge for ourselves. Stay tuned -

No comments: