December 29, 2010

Literary Fare - the Trilogy

My early nightfalls this year have been filled with stories written as trilogies.  And each has had its own distinct food culture.
First I devoured the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books. By midway through the second, the craving for coffee was too strong to shake, though I was not suggestible enough to want it with toast with cheese and marmalade.  Every character drank coffee frequently, with only one or two references to mineral water and one notable exception when a minor character choose Diet Coke as a substitute. So I finally learned to use the grinder and French press at home - and then buzzed around until I could sit still to read on.

Next I chewed through the Wraeththu serious, which was hearty but not so delicious.  Food played a role as an indicator of wealth, but was never described in much detail.  Like the characters, I ate whatever I found handy until I reached the end.

The third chapter of this literary adventure, gentle readers, may prove my undoing.  Only a few chapters into Soulless (book the first of the steampunk Parasol Protectorate trilogy), food has taken on a strong supporting role. Very specific Victorian-era foods, prepared in very specific ways, are used regularly both as metaphor and as actual props.  The protagonist's interest in dining well proves both enticing and amusing, restoring my appetite.  Of one thing you may be sure - many cups of tea will be consumed before the last page is turned (by me, in both cases).

No comments: