March 27, 2010

First Strawberries

Strawberries have been on groceries shelves here in the Bay Area nearly all winter.  But that doesn't make them in season, locally.  Lucky for me, the season for growers vending at my local farmers markets is incredibly long (generally April - October, with a bit of a shoulder extension in good years).  I only have to quick-freeze a couple quarts to hold me through the dry spell.

Finding myself a few hours south, and close to the Salinas valley's produce bounty, I was delighted to discover one variety on offer at the San Luis Obispo Thursday evening market.
I brought home a three-pack, about 3 quarts worth.  About 2 quarts worth, after snacking on the car ride home.
The first strawberries of the season always surprise and delight me.  They lack the height-of season exquisite sweetness of mid-summer berries, but make up for it by reminding me what that distinctive mix of acid and sweetness brings.  And by giving me months of simple, ripe pleasure to look forward to.

No comments: