July 27, 2009

Countertop Compost


I grew up with compost by the kitchen sink, ready to take out to my mother's garden and dig under at a bare spot.
So naturally I keep a compost pot on the counter, too. I know we're eating well when I have to take it out and tip it into the big black compost bin in the garden once a day (or more).

Lately, everywhere I go the trend seems to be catching on (not my doing). While visiting Seattle, I learned the city has banned food waste from the municipal trash, providing pick-up for kitchen scraps along with the yard "clean green" trimmings, instead. And voila, my friends without gardens are composting now! They like that their trash bags are lighter, drier, and smaller.

Even in my office building, the hot new 'tenant service' is composting. Lunchrooms and the coffee kiosk all have tall, narrow (Slim Jim) bins; and they go to the garage in a dumpster next to the trash and recycling units. Surprisingly large volume of paper towels, which I never thought much about before, using them so sparingly at home. The commercial hauler provides a financial incentive, which appeals to building management as much as the green cache.

Always having a handy, beneficial place for my food scraps makes me feel inordinately happy, instilled with a pervasive sense of optimism. As if a tide has changed, and lifted my boat with it.

No comments: